Position Description for
VOLUNTEER AND EVENTS MANAGER
Volunteers in Service to the Elderly
Position: Volunteer and Events Manager
Status: Full time; exempt
Reports To: VISTE President
Direct Reports: NA
Volunteers in Service to the Elderly (VISTE) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization committed to serving older adults that reside in western Polk County. The mission of VISTE is to enable frail and elderly persons to live independently and safely in their own home.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of VISTE and engaged in almost every aspect of our mission. The purpose of this position is to support the overall organization in the recruitment, management, and development of volunteers that assist in the delivery of VISTE programs and services. This sometimes includes directly managing volunteers and/or providing volunteers to staff who will supervise them. It also includes the coordination of volunteer-driven events such as VISTEBall and the delivery of Thanksgiving meals, etc.
1. Learn and align with VISTE’s core mission, message, and values, allowing these essentials to inform all personal interactions and communications activities
2. Actively recruit, orient, train, and develop volunteers to support ongoing programs
3. Plan and implement volunteer-driven special events including: VISTEBall; the delivery of birthday cakes, personal care boxes, and Thanksgiving meals; annual ISO holiday concert, and Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon
4. Coordinate and support school (elementary – college), civic, religious volunteers/ groups, and corporate partners.
5. Maintain a culture of acknowledgement and appreciation for all volunteers
6. Ensure volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment
7. Organize and maintain volunteers/services through policies, forms, volunteer job descriptions, records, and supplies
8. Evaluate and prepare articles/reports on the contributions of the volunteer program
9. Work closely and compatibly with employees, staff, volunteers, board members, and community members to assure the success of VISTE
1. Strong organizational, communication, and administrative skills, including Microsoft Office Suite proficiency – the ability to perform responsibilities without administrative support
2. Effective verbal, written, public speaking, and presentation skills
3. Ability to relate volunteer activities to the mission and vision of VISTE
4. Ability to make connections, building bridges to and from partner agencies and the larger community
5. Ability to make independent and discretionary decisions regarding recruitment, training, and placement of individual volunteers and groups
6. Self-disciplined, self-starting work style, accustomed to operating without supervision while capable of supervising and motivating others and working within a team
7. Flexibility and ability to adapt to new situations
8. Have excellent follow through
9. Be consistent and detail-oriented
10. Ability to hold in confidence information gained in the performance of duties and overheard in the office environment
11. Willingness to act as an advocate for the frail and elderly in our community
12. Level of Education – Minimum of two years of college preferred
13. Work Experience – Prefer two years related experience
• The Volunteer and Events Manager’s primary work hours are Monday – Friday, 8am-4pm. Times may vary according to program needs.
• Weekend and before/after hour duties are also required periodically, especially around major events.
• Benefits include four weeks’ vacation plus ten paid holidays, up to 3% match for 403 (b) retirement savings plan, a pre-tax health savings plan, and collegial and meaningful work environment.
• All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
• Individuals who cannot perform some of the requirement because they pose health or safety risks to themselves or other employees may be excluded from this position.
• This is a drug free workplace and all staff are subject to drug testing.
• Qualified applicants must successfully pass background checks.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Steve Bissonnette at [email protected]