The world around us continues to change rapidly and we’re working hard at VISTE to make sure the most critical needs of our clients for essential transportation and food continue to be addressed.
We continue to be in contact with local health officials, Feeding Tampa Bay, other major food suppliers, and other non-profit organizations providing services to seniors.
While we don’t know the duration of the pandemic, we do know we have faced many challenges together and emerged stronger in support of our elderly clients.
CLIENTS: Ongoing Program Services
- Transportation – This week, trips were down almost 50% due to client cancellations. We continue to prioritize medical-related appointments, especially recurring trips for dialysis treatment, chemo, etc. Grocery store trips will continue to be provided and scheduled first thing in morning whenever possible.
- Hot meals – Meals delivered with minimal disruption in volunteers so far. Delivery guidelines are being developed to institute social distancing practices that still allow for visual/verbal contact with clients. Other adaptive measures such as the use of disposable containers are being considered to further ensure the health and safety of our volunteers and clients.
- Groceries – Delivery week continues to move forward on schedule, thanks in part to continued volunteer engagement and addition of students from SEU who are now out of school. An alternate “drive-thru” approach is being developed to minimize interactions when clients come to VISTE to pick up groceries.
- In-home care – Action Home Health Care is no longer providing light housekeeping service and has stopped accepting new clients. Existing VISTE clients will continue to receive bathing and respite care.
- Activity status – The following activities will be suspended until further notice:
- In-home client visits (including new client intakes)
- New Volunteer orientations (will be done one-on-one as needed rather than in groups)
- Pancake breakfasts
- Birthday cakes
- In-home repair/yard work
VOLUNTEER UPDATES & RESOURCES
We anticipate a growing need for additional volunteers over the coming weeks. For now, we’ll be collecting contact information for those interested in helping so we can call them back, as needed.
Please email Julie at [email protected] or call VISTE at 863-284-0828.
- What can I do to help?
- Temporary food delivery drivers are needed.
- What is VISTE doing to help?
- VISTE is adjusting their delivery food practices for the safety of our clients and delivery drivers.
- Where can a senior in need look for help?
- Make homemade cards for our client’s birthdays or “Thinking of You” cards. Please MAIL those cards to VISTE at 1232 E. Magnolia St. Lakeland, FL 33801.
- Creative Volunteer Opportunity:
- In April we will not be able to celebrate birthdays for our clients that are 90 and over with our normal delivery of birthday cakes so we are asking that anyone and everyone create virtual birthday greetings for us to share on social media! Be creative! Tag us on Facebook @vistelakeland with the hashtag #VISTEBdayWish
- Postponed Events:
- April 1, 2020: Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon
- How can I give an online donation?
- How can I give a planned gift during this time?
- What type of in-kind donations do you need?
- Nonperishables – canned vegetables, beans, peanut butter, fruits, proteins, and soups
- Dry goods – rice, beans, pasta
- Plastic grocery bags
GENERAL COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- Senior Connection Center
- United Way of Central Florida
- Florida Department of Health
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- World Health Organization
Thank you for your continued support, and prayers, as we navigate these uncertain times together.
Please email us or call 863-284-0828 with any inquiries you may have.